I implemented a couple of SEO related (search engine optimization) changes on this blog. But I did not stop there. I introduced some new features for my readers as well.
As a result and the side-effect of it, the 10 or 15 latest blog posts have been re-published on the RSS feed with ever slightly changing URLs. I had the RSS feed turned off today to minimize the effect this had on Feedburner, and your RSS blog subscriptions.
I hope you can forgive me that faux pax. I wrote about those side-effects in the original article where I go in detail over the background for the SEO changes.
The main SEO changes revisited
remove the date from the URL
keep the numeric index for the post, but move it up one virtual directory
remove punctuation characters like [.,;!]
finally, keep all URLs lower-case
Use the <link rel="canonical" … > entity to specify 1 preferred URL and solve the duplicate content issue this way.
introduce a new short version of the URLs
Of course last but not least, make sure all already published URLs (on the blog and out there on the Internet) remain valid
That's it in a nutshell.
I also have described the side effect of social media widget bankruptcy. No, it's not that serious. All that happened is the widgets and older posts show 0 (zero) submissions, because they don't know the new URL unless someone submits the post, again.
Social Media Related Changes
Here's the short list of changes you might have noticed already.
Yeah! The new “Tweet It Button” right in the upper left corner of every blog post. One click tweet. It's really that simple. Check it out.
I also put a Retweet This text link next t the ShareThis widget in the article footer.
I am not displaying the Digg, and Reddit widgets for older posts. You guessed right, because they show “0” from the social media bankruptcy.
For Comments: Now you can subscribe to the comments for a particular post blog post via a filtered RSS feed.
Blog comments available as RSS feed as an alternative to email subscription
All that is left to do is finally getting a “smarter domain name” for the blog.